Domain Name System
Domain Name is your website name. DNS (Domain Name System) server function is to resolve domain name to IP address. Compare these 2 URL addresses:
The second URL much easier for human to remember. That’s the reason domain name system was created. Domain names are structured in subdomain levels:
- DNS root: dot (.).
- Top Level Domains (TLDs):
- Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs): com, net, org, info
- Country Code Top Level Domains: id, us
- Second Level Domains (SLD) and Third Level Domains are open for user registration. Example: ekomersial.com
- Host name are under user control. Typically used for create publicly accessible internet resources like website. It is free and often unlimited. Example: www.ekomersial.com, blog.ekomersial.com
Domain Name also act as email system name. Example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) internet domain name space. It authorize domain name registrar like ekomersial.com, through which domain names may be registered and transferred.