Domain Name System
Domain Name is your website name. DNS (Domain Name System) server function is to resolve domain name to IP address. Compare these 2 URL addresses:
The second URL much easier for human to remember. That’s the reason domain name system was created. Domain names are structured in subdomain levels:
- DNS root: dot (.).
- Top Level Domains (TLDs):
- Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs): com, net, org, info
- Country Code Top Level Domains: id, us
- Second Level Domains (SLD) and Third Level Domains are open for user registration. Example: ekomersial.com
- Host name are under user control. Typically used for create publicly accessible internet resources like website. It is free and often unlimited. Example: www.ekomersial.com, blog.ekomersial.com
Domain Name also act as email system name. Example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) internet domain name space. It authorize domain name registrar like ekomersial.com, through which domain names may be registered and transferred.
Speaking of the top level domain name since this plays a large role in picking the right domain name for domain name registration; many experts have noted that before you go for a domain name registration, you should identify your top level domain. The .com is the most common top level domain that is used today, for it stands for commercial domains. Of course there are other types and each has its own uses and functions.””